In the 1950s, due to the influx of German immigrants, Bridgeland Baptist Church had a large and growing membership. In order to meet the needs of both the English and German members of the congregation it was decided to start a new work with the newly immigrated German portion of the membership.
On June 2, 1958 under the guidance of Reverend Rudolf Milbrandt, Temple Baptist Church was organized. The first meeting took place at Ebeneezer Church. Three months later the church requested and received recognition as an affiliated church of the Northern Conference (now North American Baptist Conference). A service celebrating this affiliation was held on September 9, 1958.
In September 1958 land was purchased at 1204 Renfrew Drive NE in Calgary for the purpose of building a church facility and a ground breaking ceremony was held on October 28, 1958.
On November 30, 1958 the Cornerstone Laying ceremony tool place. Services were held in the basement shortly thereafter with the main floor serving as a roof. The completed facilities of Temple Baptist Church were dedicated on March 22, 1959.
Shortly after completion of the church building, construction on a parsonage was begun. The parsonage was dedicated on November 8, 1959.
As the congregation grew, it became evident that additional facilities were needed. Construction of an educational wing was completed and dedication ceremonies took place in October 1966.
In 1979 a second parsonage was purchased with part of the land being used for additional parking space.
In August 1998 new additions of a library, offices and an extended foyer were made. This necessitated the removal of the original church bell tower. The new cornerstone was laid in May 1989.
In 2002 Temple Baptist Church changed its name to Renfrew Baptist Church to better reflect our location in the city of Calgary.